Sunday, November 15, 2009

Concession

Now that it is November, I have to concede that summer is definitely over. I know, some people may have come to this conclusion days ago, but I had a hard time with this admission because much of the summer was so cool and rainy, that I kept waiting for it to feel like summer, but maybe a summer here never does feel like summer in that sidewalk egg frying way. I am not yet ready to concede completely to that point, but other than my frustration about the weather, it was a good summer. Primarily because, in the absense the husband of to the Himalayan foothills, my mother came for five weeks, then Dad, then the Inlaws.


Some people may worry about their mother coming to stay for five weeks, but it was truly amazing to have her here. It was also truly amazing that she mowed the lawn. She said once that she was just trying to help me make my house "more functional" - and she helped in all the right ways without me really saying much of anything (with the assistance of one small one). Having her here and seeing her with Sela reminded me of some of the things that I wouldn't mind seeing in myself one day.
When Dad came, we had a really fun search for moose (akin to the search for snipe, good snacks, and classy hotel rooms), and the perfect pinochle game in the "northern country" as grandpa tried to break the girl of her broccoli habit. It's also nice to not worry about your inlaws coming to stay for weeks when you husband will supposedly be out of the country. I mean, when Janet can keep you informed about what you should know is happening in your own village from across the country, you can just imagine what you can learn when she is actually here. Elvoid has a good way solving problems, so that sometimes, things in the house would be fixed and improved that I didn't necessarily consider the possibility improving and there it would be - better than it had been before. It's also great to play with the little one with people who think that she is as wonderful as you do.


1 comment:

Zoe Bjornson said...

the first picture = grandma jean. miss you guys!