At the time, Sela had no idea what it meant that it was her birthday, but since then, she tells us that everything is from her birthday. I asked her where she picked up a stick today, and she told me that she got it for her birthday. We had a few trips to Indiana this summer, and having a short person in my grandparents retirement community is notable, so many elderly ladies would come up to Sela and ask her how old she was. This gave us the opportunity to practice before the big day. She would concentrate very hard on pulling up her pinky finger and ring finger from her dimpled fist to make two, and then proudly hold out all five fingers and say "three!". I guess she was trying to be as incognito about her two-year-old age as some of those ladies are about their own ages. Luckily, we were able to celebrate a little pre-birthday party with cousin Miles who is only 5 days her younger, but I think will be using his "big boy" underwear much sooner than his older and wiser cousin.
We went for the bus theme on the cake, since they are a very exciting thing to see on the street and a very exciting thing to sing about. You know the song - "The wheels on the bus go round and round....." After the party, however, Grandma was trying to sing the song to Sela on Skype and she kept saying, "No, Nanna, no! Wheels no go round and round, wheels cookie!" The big hit presents, though, all had wheels - a backpack with rollers that was our constant companion for several days, a mini Papa red truck, and a little stroller that carries many interesting loads over to the little step stool that the neighbor kid decided to make with his grandfather for Sela. Dan and I were really impressed and touched by that one.

1 comment:
Sunny, I cannot believe Sela is 2 already! And I don't even know how far along you are in your pregnancy :( We NEED to keep in better touch!
We miss you guys, and Sela is adorable.
Post a Comment